Monday, December 10, 2007

expert update

Just to make fill in the blog with the rest of my expert experience....

I exchanged a couple more emails after initially speaking to David Zajac. He told me that he feels the worst part about a speech impairment is lowered self esteem while the worst part of hearing loss is social isolation. The two often go hand in hand since
"we basically speak the way we hear" and these individuals cannot hear well. He also stated that "profoundly deaf individuals often have limited speech, thus the social isolation".

I tried to talk to an educational expert on campus like suggested by Corrinne. However, that was even more pointless than the first interview since the health professionals on campus focus on college students opposed to the children I am researching in my paper. I got mainly general information that I already had before. I should have talked to someone who deals with younger kids but time did not permit this.

So I guess overall I was not a big fan of the expert interview since I have such a narrow topic that it is hard to get in contact with someone who directly researches with what I am researching.

No comments: